STEP Effluent Sewer
STEP Systems - a Better Collections System aPproach
STEP (Septic Tank with Effluent Pump) collections systems are an economical, low-impact, long-term solution to collecting and delivering wastewater to a treatment facility.
Some of the benefits and features in the technical papers and project profiles linked at the bottom of the page include:
- Watertight collection, with no need for manholes or expensive lift stations
- Shallowly buried, small-diameter sewer lines, quickly installed with light equipment
- Passive, on-lot primary treatment
- Reduced size, complexity, and cost of the wastewater treatment system
- A minimum of 24-hour emergency storage in watertight, on-lot tanks (with normal, daily flow)
- Low Operations & Maintenance costs
- Lower upfront cost
- Cost deferred until buildout
- Non-mandatory hookups
STEP collections systems can significantly reduce the need to dig up roads, sidewalks, and otherwise disturb traffic flow and landscapes.
There are two primary configurations for our STEP packages. AQWA STEP and Biotube ProPak Pump Packages
1) Orenco STEP Packages
Orenco® STEP Packages are complete, integrated pump packages for filtering and pumping effluent from septic tanks or pump tanks. They are designed to filter and pump effluent to either gravity or pressurized discharge points. The patented pump vault technology eliminates the need for separate dosing tanks.
- 10-, 30-, and 50-gpm (0.6, 1.9, and 3.2 L/sec) versions available
- 60-Hz operation
- PF Series Corrosion-resistant, stainless steel 4-inch (100-mm) turbine effluent pump
- Polyethylene and PVC Biotube pump vault
- Polyethylene and PVC Biotube filter
- 1/8-inch (3-mm) or 1⁄16-inch (1.5-mm) filter mesh available
- 14.5 ft2 (1.35 m2) total filter surface area
- 140 gpm (8.8 L/sec) maximum flow rate
- Float switch assembly and float switches included
- Internal or external splice box available
- Demand-dose, analog timed-dose, or digital timed-dose control panel available
- 5-year warranty
If there are existing septic tanks or pump tanks to be converted to STEP, the Biotube ProPak includes all of the components you will need to turn any watertight concrete tank into an Orenco STEP system.
Any project specified for AQWA STEP or Orenco STEP includes a complimentary Hydraulic Grade Line (HGL) Analysis conducted by experienced engineers at Orenco.
2) AQWA STEP Package
This STEP package includes all of the contents of an Orenco® Biotube® ProPak™ Pump Package pre-installed into an Roth Manufacturing 1000 gallon poly tank. AQWA finishes out the STEP packages with tank adapters, lids and risers cut to your communities specifications for consistently watertight installations.
Roth Tanks are the best plastic tanks on the market, lightweight yet incredibly strong and backed by an industry leading warranty. This package makes for an easy install and is lightweight and simple enough for municipal staff, plumbers, or septic installers to handle and install.
All float and pump wires are pulled to the splice box with each cord labeled making control panel hook up very straightforward.
- 1000 gallon Roth Tank
- PF Series Effluent Pump
- Biotube Pump Vault
- Hanging Discharge Assembly
- Float Switch Assembly
- Waterproof Splice Box
- Ultrarib Risers
- Fiberglass Riser Lids
- S1 Control Panel (Any Orenco Panel can be specified including Vericomm, telemetry enabled panels)
The warranties covering the components of these STEP packages are the best in the industry.
The effluent pumps boast a 10 year warranty when purchased as part of a STEP Package. 10 years! When one of these pumps does fail, typically the liquid end of the pump can be purchase for a minimal cost of
10 year warranty - PF Series Septic Tank Effluent Pump
Lifetime Corrosion Warranty, 5 year workmanship/materials warranty + $2500 to pay for costs associated with tank replacement if one does fail under warranty
All other components - 5 year warranty
Effluent Sewer FAQ (breakdown of collections systems cost comparisons)